June 5, 2012

Reflections on my Birthday

So, yes, another birthday rolls around.  My 51st one if anyone is counting.  Don't feel 51 years old to be honest.  But, in some ways I can count how old I am in the things that I've seen and experienced.  Hard to believe how much time has passed.

30 years ago was my 21st birthday.  I can still remember who was there, at the party.  My best friend Pam. A friend that I haven't seen in years, Hank. My parents, and a few other people.  Was fun. I recall we had a BBQ with hamburgers and then a nice birthday cake.

The most memorable birthday for me, in recent memory was my 40th.  I'd just found out two weeks before that that I was pregnant with Victoria.  So, I recall that when we went out for dinner with Pam and a few other friends I didn't drink at all.  Gave up drinking entirely while I was pregnant.  Yes, not completely necessary but I didn't want to take a chance.

As I look forward to 2012 I hope that I"ll stay sane and stable.  With some joy, some sadness in there.  But overall a sense of how lucky I truly am.  With all the many blessings that a wife, a mother and a loved daughter has.  To some, a trusted friend.  Look to them to keep me afloat on the bad days, along with my family.

 It is not easy to find happiness in ourselves, and it is not possible to find it elsewhere. Agnes Repplier

No comments: