June 16, 2012

A mathematical look at obesity

I'm curious about this subject because of the drugs I'm on. The anti-psychotics actually work to slow you down, and are portable obesity pills.  The one I was on, Zyprexa (olanzapine) has been in the news, and the courts, for causing diabetes, perhaps.  http://thelastpsychiatrist.com/2010/10/zyprexa_and_fat.html

The one I'm on now, Zeldox (Ziprasidone) works in a slightly different way.  You don't get the triggers of hunger, at all, with this drug. It totally negates that signal. So, I never get that grumbly tummy syndrome that indicates that you're hungry.  I get a feeling of satisfaction when eating, of course.  But I eat very little, and try to walk an hour each day in an effort to stave off the inevitable.

I'm very thankful, as I read now about the link between high sugary drinks and obesity, that my husband and I have never been pop fans (or soda if you're in the States).  As a result, my children have never  had pop and don't like it, at all, when they've tried a taste.  Combining that, with little eating out at fast food restaurants, and healthy sized meals I think we're doing okay.

In a lot of ways I miss the initial feeling of mania.  Where I was religious and fanatic about exercising.  I went to the gym 5 times a week and was working out for about 2 hours per time.  I was in excellent shape, ran a 5 km, a 10 km and the Ottawa half-marathon. I was as skinny as I was when 26, and able to wear the clothes that I wore when married in 1987.  But the wheels all fell off as my mania increased to dangerous levels.  Since taking the anti psychotics it's been an effort to get out to walk.  It affects your entire body in a way that people not on the drug just don't get .  The drugs muck about with the internal metabolism, signals and triggers.

Oh for the days of good mania.

No comments: