June 3, 2012

Living in this moment

I've been listening to a talk by Sam Harris at the Melbourne gathering of atheists.  2012 Global Atheists convention.  Here are some of the excerpts of his talk.

"How can we create lives that are truly worth living given they will come to an end?
What do you really truly care about?
When will you have the epiphany of what you've done with your life?
To make the most of the present moment.  The past is a memory. It's a thought arising in the present. The future is merely anticipated, it's just another thought arising now.  What we have is, truly, this moment.  We forget this truth, fleeing it, repudiating it, reliving our past, worrying about our future. The horror is that we succeed, in great part. We manage to never really connect with the present moment and find fulfillment there because we are continuously hoping to become more happy in the future.  We're anticipating being fulfilled in the future rather than being happy at this moment, now, in time.  And the future never arrives.  We're always solving a problem.  It is simple to drop your problem and live simply, in this moment."

Helps to remind me to live in the present, and enjoy what I have,  now, at this time.  I need to go back and listen to this talk again when I get down on myself.  It is so easy to forget the here and now of my life.  The love, the laughter, the joy, and the fun of having two beautiful daughters, each completely unique.  Of having a wonderful, loving husband that loves me for who I am.  Not who he met 30 years ago.  Not who he hopes to see in 20 years.  But the me, here now, patient and loving and loving him for who he is.

Peace to all.  Love, and let someone love you.

No comments: