April 27, 2012

What we need to do

What do we need to do to fight bigotry, hatred, misogyny, intolerance, and fear?  We need to spread out our voices via the net to send out our messages.  Like this one "I'm Christian unless you're gay"  or this one Compassion.  Those are the messages we need to spread.

Not the message that Richard Dawkins said in the Reason Rally and I quote: "Religion makes specific claims about the universe which need to be substantiated, and need to be challenged - and if necessary, need to be ridiculed with contempt. ... For example, if they say they're Catholic: Do you really believe, that when a priest blesses a wafer, it turns into the body of Christ? Are you seriously telling me you believe that? Are you seriously saying that wine turns into blood? ... Mock them. Ridicule them! In public!"

That is fighting fire with fire.  You are fanning the flames of hatred with that approach I argue.  You aren't appealing to the softer, gentler side of people.  You are raising their hackles, assaulting them.  You are bullying them, plainly and simply.  You aren't respecting them, at all.  You aren't allowing them their views.  Yes, they are screaming their lies to you.  I agree.  But with reason, calmness, gentleness and compassion you can argue their points.

When it comes to a very simple example I think of my very sensitive, over-reactive daughter. When I ask her politely to do something that gets much better results than if I stand over her and demand that she is wrong, she must do what I say and that there is no arguing the point.  She just "HAS" to do it.  Which approach gets the better response do you think?

With the post A teen's brave response you see the approach of the teen towards his mother.  He is calm, and firm and right in his approach.  He is simply telling her what he is.  He's not screaming that he's right, she's wrong.  He's just saying it like it is, take it or leave it.  He had the very very brave courage to stand up and say it.  I really applaud him for that.  I applaud all of those that are just standing up and simply saying "I am what I am, take it or leave it".  It's hard to do, I'm sure.  They are all brave.  

Why did Single Dad Laughing get so many responses to all his posts about acceptance? Because he was brave enough to broach the subject in a respectful, firm way.  He was brave enough to say this isn't the way it should be.  He's stronger for it, I'd suggest.  Because he's been reaffirmed that he did the right thing by the responses he's gotten.

I'll continue to pour out my feelings of love, compassion, warmth and gentleness and understanding. Maybe changing one mind, at a time.

So, I'll type it out again. "Is compassion the root of all morality?"  I'd say yes it is.

"If you want others to be happy, practice compassion.  If you want to be happy, practice compassion." - Dalai Lama


No comments: