April 12, 2012

Something about Sexuality

I'm going to write up a post about sexuality.  I'm reading the Asperger's pages on Facebook and more and more I'm seeing questions about people having Asperger's and being gay.  I found this video on YouTube about it



Twice the difficulty in his life, coming out twice, once as Aspergers and once as gay.   Not fun to deal with at all.  It'd be interesting to hear him talking about bullying, I bet.

There is this book available about the subject Sex Sexuality and Autistic which looks quite interesting.

Anyhow, just thinking of the kids who are gay, have Asperger's and live in families that are strict anti-gay.  How on earth do you begin to "come out"? To a parent that will disown you, belittle you, hurt you mentally and perhaps physically.  How truly awful that must be.  I have such sympathy for these people.  No wonder people commit suicide.  And on top of the atmosphere at home, being bullied at school for being different.  Not coping well with school work. How truly awful.

I can't help but think "there but for the Grace of God go I".  I am so lucky to have been born into a family that accepted me.  Didn't try to change me.  Didn't try to belittle me. But supported and loved me.   Even though we never knew what was up until 3 years ago.

As my daughters enter their teenage years I hope that they'll find their path okay.  At least we know that they both have it.  And will have issues with boys likely.  Boys won't understand them.  Girls won't understand them either.  Thankfully Sarah has some friends that accept her for who she is.  They seem to get along great, based on what she's telling me. She seems to be happy.  So I hope that she'll navigate the teen years with some confidence.  Victoria, with few friends, I worry about more.  I hope she'll manage okay.  If either of them was to identify themselves as gay to me, I'd still love them to the ends of the earth. One just has to accept what another person is.  That's the end of the story.

Be soft. Do not let the world make you hard. Do not let the pain make you hate. Do not let the bitterness steal your sweetness. Take pride that even though the rest of the world may disagree, you still believe it to be a beautiful place.

No comments: